Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Chef's Toque

Hello my sweets!
I just got out of concepts and theories (yay for early nights) and I turned in a paper I just wrote about Auguste Escoffier for some extra credit. I think it'd be nice to get through this first quarter with 110% in two of my classes and settle for a 98+% in my others...
I happened to chose to write this paper right as we are discussing eggs.
Eggs are fascinating. Truly one of the most amazing ingredients one could ever handle. They are so versatile, and beautiful. An egg can be packed with salt and be cured through the shell. An egg can simply be lightly cooked sunny side up and stuck on a piece of well buttered toast and be one of the best meals of your life. An egg can be soft boiled and fried and turn into a heavenly bundle of flavor, but there is nothing quite as lovely as a creamy white perfectly poached egg with just a hint of salt and pepper. If any of you have ever poached an egg (which I am sure all of you have, or least attempted) you know it requires an acid (usually white wine or white vinegar, dark will discolour the egg) in the poaching liquid (which is generally water) but I have taken a liking to using lemon on mine. If you poach eggs regularly this can be expensive, but if you are doing it just for kicks it's a nice flavor(be careful with hollandaise which already has a zesty flavor).

But back to what I was saying. Eggs.
As I was writing all about Escoffier's life and at the same time reading about all these egg recipes, I figured I might as well check out a few of his own personal recipes on the subject. So this evening I went into the library at school and looked at the egg section in Le Guide Cluninare. Escoffier, the god of modern French cuisine, had 101 recipes on eggs. I recalled having to remember that number for something else... The folds of my chef's toque! I thought I'd bring up this odd similarity with one of my instructing chefs and he told me that it's isn't just an odd similarity, the reason why there are 101 pleats on a chef's hat is in direct correlation to the fact that Escoffier's original first edition book had 101 egg recipes. This right there tells you how important eggs are (and how ridiculously traditional our uniforms are... Damn all neckerchiefs by the way)

Eggs are a food that most can relate to.
I have good memories of scrambled eggs. I had them in the morning with a glass of orange juice because that was my favorite food from birth to age 13. Now I find that for 18 years of my life I have not had them to their full potential.
I have quite a bit of homework to attend to and a long day tomorrow of crepes and fritattats, but before I depart I shall share a quick word. When making scrambled eggs, do so in a double boiler as though you were to make hollandaise. But don't whisk, and be sure to turn the heat up a bit to make the most fluffy amazing scrambled eggs you've ever indulged in. Also, adding just a hint of heavy creamed is a gift from the kitchen in the sky.
I shall post the most fantastic weekend breakfast recipe involving eggs and baking tomorrow moring, perhaps you've heard of Shirred Egg? Well now you have. Check back soon, and you will not be dissapointed.

Good night to all!

peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment