Wednesday, April 28, 2010

There shall be swears and curses. It's a cook's way after all...

So, FML
I have indeed been hard at work to memorize my recipes. I have a midterm going on tomorrow where I have to make a few sauces, a few soups and do a few knife skills. It's all pretty simple and straight forward, but of course, I shall find some complaint! Chef Nash, who is my lab teacher and Chef Redman, who is my Theories teacher, clash on so so so many subjects. There is a classical way of cooking French cuisine, and every one has their own ideas as to what that should be. Much like the bible, all the ways that have been written and passed down to make the Mother sauces and basic soups has been interpenetrated differently. To ask a chef how they make any sauce of what it should look like is very different. Imagine asking a preacher about some event that is mentioned in the bible. He'll tell you the same kind of story, mention the same kind of people (ingredients and what you'd use the sauce for) but a totally different meaning to what the story portrays or how one should feel about it (how it looks and tastes with all the seasonings and basic proportions) because everyone is different.
I normally value diversity but this is really just too much. It's a lot to remember, how it classically is written, a modern interpretation and how my chef's like it to look for their own personal aesthetic desires.
Just as in any place of education or career I have my favorite chefs/teachers. I am personally in love with Chef Redman. He's for sure the youngest professor or chef that I have. Perhaps that is part of is, he's not as cranky. He's also my theories professor so he's much easier to please. To state how a dish is made is like a walk through the park. To do it is another story.
Chef Nash I am slowly coming to love. He's for sure a bit rough around the edges, but in a way that is a comfort. I know that if I mess up, I am deserving of a "no, do it again." and he's seemed to connect with all of us a lot more then the first few weeks. He's in his mid to late 50's and reminds me a little of a chef who I once dearly loved who just passed away from brain cancer. They have the same twinkle in their eye, perhaps that is why I am coming to adore him in his own way.
Tonight I made probably the most delicious fritatta I've ever had in my life, not to toot my own horn or anything. But, never in my life have I ever found an eggs so challenging as my attempts at a French Fried Egg or as us American's say, Sunny Side Up. SCREW YOU FRENCHIES!
The goal is to have a perfectly white bottom NO browning, it creates a rubbery texture. And you don't flip it. You want to have NO bubbles coming up through the white. I spent probably 80% of the time "cooking" off of the pilot light and the other 20% was on a very very low flame and yet I still had to do it 3 times before perfection was reached. I shall practice tomorrow, along with the same process but a flip for easy over eggs.

Also, I have the secret to PERFECT BOILED EGGS.
Place eggs in pot with COLD water just over the shell, and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes exactly and the second that you turn off the stove, dump eggs into a bowl of ice water to end the cooking process and pull the surfer in the egg away from the yolk.
For soft boiled eggs,
Place eggs in pot with COLD water just over the shell, and bring to a boil. Boil for 60 SECONDS and remove them from heat immediately. Cover the pot with the eggs inside and let stand for 10 minutes without heat and without lifting the lid on the pot.

**When boiling eggs the sulfuric acid will form around the yolk and kind of collect there. So when you over cook the egg, that is what the greeny ring is. to avoid this, quick cooling is a huge help. Obviously if you over cook an egg, there is not much that can help you then.

Okay, just a quick side note, I'd like to thank a few people while I have the time. Thank you to my grandparents. I'm so grateful to have you behind me. I'm not going to let you (or myself) down with this endeavor. This is a passion that I can't describe. As well I must thank my Aunt and Uncle, for they have provided me with something I haven't felt in a very long time and I have a really solid sense of belonging and home. Their kitchen is my canvass and I thank them(and their stove) endlessly. Lastly I must thank my boyfriend. I appreciate all the love and support you give and for being adventurous and tasting things you never would have if I hadn't pushed you to. :)
*thank you to YOU too, it's nice to have readers of my banter...

GOOD NIGHT ALL, the midterms continue tomorrow and it's already midnight.

1 comment:

  1. my goodness, there are a few typos in this... my apologies. I'll fix those tomorrow morning. :)

    ReplyDelete