Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Their terms, mid terms

Well, I've been busy with midterms. Need I say more?
My wonderful boyfriend just finished fixing my aunts computer and eating my mushroom fettuccine alfredo, seems that life is going back to normal and I'll have a little bit of free time to relax. Studying is something entirely different when it comes to culinary school. For example; for me to study a sauce. I must first look it up in my notes and see what my chef told me about it. Then I get to look up the recipe that I got from icook (our schools online resource) and the recipe that I have on notebook paper from my theories professor. I must memorize firstly what it is and what it's used for. Then what's in it and a few variations on how to use it. Along with the temperatures I cook and hold it at.
That is the first part...
The second part?
DO IT! I need to make these things as much as I can. The more I do it, the more I'll remember and the better it'll taste. This is a true thing for more than just my recipes. My knife skills are endlessly frustrating. Ever heard of fluting a mushroom cap? I hadn't either.


(the three little white balls with the lines on them are fluted mushroom caps.)

Those little things frustrate me like nothing else on this planet. haha. It takes me awhile to do one, but once I finish, they look alright... Chef Nash always finds something though. I've grown to quite love him in his own way. He's a fun person to talk to outside of class about things. I love how my school is so little that everyone knows me. There is a strange sense of comradeship when it comes to the school. We're all in this together, and even when we're competing against the clock and trying to beat each other to get samples up to the chef's table in the kitchen, we are still friends. 

Monday I have an interview at Ray's Boat House. I'm hoping to see Peter Birk, wh is a bit of an idol of mine. Hopefully all goes well. Tomorrow I have a lab class with The Dashing Chef Nash, so I should get my uniform, implements and recipes in decent order. Don't want to get sent home!

Before I depart I shall share a recipe with you!

Shirred Eggs With Ham

Yield: 1 Serving
Method: Baking
Utensils: Ramekin, cheese grater

Ingredients:
Whole Butter, melted     as needed
Baked Ham, thin slice    1/2 oz (one piece)
Eggs                                2
Heavy Cream, warm      1 Tbsp.
Salt and Pepper            TT (to taste)
Swiss Cheese, grated      1 Tbsp.

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F (160 C)
Brush the interior of a 6 fld oz ramekin with melted butter. Line the ramekin with ham.
Break the eggs into a cup and pour them carefully into the ramekin on top of the ham. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake at 325 until the eggs begin to set, approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, then add the cream and cheese. Retunr to the oven until the eggs are cooked and the cheese is melted. serve hot. (don't overload the cheese)

No comments:

Post a Comment